Purchasing a rental property as an investment has become very popular
and a way a lot of our clients are increasing their income. You want to make
sure that your additional source of income is insured properly.
In a rental property package you receive coverage for:
- Dwelling – provides coverage for damage caused to the house and any attached structure such as an attached garage or deck.
- Detached Structures – provides coverage for damage caused to a building on the property, separate from the house such as a detached garage or a shed.
- Landlords Contents – provides coverage for your belongings in the
house that you have provided the tenants with. Most common items include the fridge, stove, washer and dryer.
Some Optional Coverages You May Want To Consider
- Sewer Back Up/Sump Pump Failure – can provide you with coverage in the event water comes into your home through your sewer lines or your sump pump fails.
- Scheduled Items – items such as jewellery, furs, collections, watercraft or bicycles can be subject to a limit in the policy. If you have a higher valued item, scheduling the article on your policy might be in your best interest.
- Overland Water – previously declined by all companies, this coverage can now be purchased with select markets. It can provide coverage if water enters your home through a window well after a heavy rainfall or if a body of water rises or overflows and causes damage to your home.
Helpful Tips When Purchasing
We want to make sure that the policy you purchase fits your needs.
To help us determine what package would work best for you make sure
you have the following information:
- When were the furnace and shingles last replaced on the home? These can affect not only the price but the coverage that might be available to you.
- The type of plumbing and electrical that is in the house. This would include the amps of the electrical as well as the wiring type and the type of pipes in the home.
- How many units are in the house as well as how many renters will be living in the house?
- Find out of if the house has a sump pump and/or a backwater valve. If you are looking to purchase the Sewer
Back up Coverage, the amount of coverage available to you can depend on whether or not these are installed in the house.
Types of coverage
There are a few policies that are available for a rental property. We will help you determine what policy best suits your needs.
- Fire & Extended Coverages Only – provides very basic coverage on the rental property
and is limited to losses like fire, wind, hail. There are
a number of exclusions within this type of policy.
- Comprehensive Policy – provides All Risk coverage on both the house and contents.